Each year, 14,000 patients are searching for a bone marrow donor. Mothers, fathers, and too often young children who are fighting blood cancers and disorders are faced with the reality that a bone marrow transplant is their only hope.
Only 30 percent of the searching patients will be able to find a match with a family member, the rest must rely on a stranger stepping up to donate bone marrow/stem cells.
You might be thinking, how do I get started to be a bone marrow donor? It starts by requesting a cheek swab kit below. We send it directly to your home. You just have to open the package, swab your cheeks and the most important thing is to send it back to us in the prepaid envelope provided. Once it’s processed at the lab, you’re on the registry and can be called to help a patient who is in need of a donor.
So now’s the time. Step up to give someone a second chance at life.
In July 2018, Marley was diagnosed with aplastic anaemia and doctors say his best chance of survival is to have a bone marrow transplant. A search of the registry has returned no matches for Marley. Now, his family is campaigning to find #MarrowforMarley in the hope of finding him a matching blood stem cell donor.
Heston was diagnosed with Schwachman-Diamond Syndrome, a disease that can lead to leukemia and bone marrow failure, in January 2016. The need for a bone marrow transplant for Heston is becoming more urgent, and there are no current matches for Heston. While his condition is getting more serious, his outlook and strength are very strong.
Lifesaving starts here!
Registering for the chance to save a life is exciting, but before you begin, please be sure you haven’t registered before with another donor center. Also, we ask that all registered donors be willing to donate to any patient. Lastly, please scroll down to review the two ways to donate.
Let's get started!SIGN UP
As a registered bone marrow donor, you will be on standby to save a life.
I currently reside in the United States.
I am a member of the military.
Please enter your date of birth.
Please enter your details
You are eligible!
Next step... Complete the registration process.
Thank you for caring.
Members of the military can register with The C.W. Bill Young Department of Defense Marrow Donor Program.
Are you in overall good health?
We want to make sure that helping a patient won’t impact your health. Please review the following list of criteria. If you are not sure about a requirement, feel free to call us at 866.340.3567.
YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO REGISTER IF YOU ARE:
- Between the ages of 18 and 55
- In good general health
- At least 4’10” and weigh more than 105 pounds, but not exceed a maximum BMI of 40.
YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO REGISTER IF YOU HAVE:
- History of heart surgery or heart disease
- Autoimmune disorders such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis or fibromyalgia
- Sleep apnea, breathing problems or severe asthma (daily inhalers are acceptable)
- Diabetes requiring injectable medication
- Hepatitis B or C
- Kidney or liver disease
- History of stroke, including TIA
- Chronic or severe neck, spine or back problems
- Epilepsy or other seizure within one year
- History of blood clotting or bleeding disorders
- History of head injury or multiple concussions
- Personal history of cancer (exceptions: Stage 0 or in situ melanoma, breast, bladder, cervical and cured localized skin cancer such as basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma)
If you have questions about whether your medical history would prevent you from donating, please contact email@example.com or 212.209.6700.