After recovering from a motorcycle accident in 2017, things were going well for Chris Lewis and his young family. He and his wife, Abby, were both studying to become chiropractors at Parker University. They were enjoying raising Abby's 10-year-old daughter and living a happy and healthy lifestyle. But Chris was experiencing symptoms that could have been anything - tiredness and fever. And because of injuries sustained from his accident - his spleen was removed - Chris needed to see a doctor anytime his fever went over 101. They were never expecting to hear that he has cancer.
Chris was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia (AML), which starts in the bone marrow and can move quickly into the blood. To treat AML, patients can undergo chemotherapy and drug therapies, or, as in Chris' case, need a bone marrow transplant. He knows that finding an unrelated matching donor could take some time, but he also knows that he can raise awareness for others who are also fighting blood cancers and disorders.
Step up and join the fight.
Lifesaving starts here!
Registering for the chance to save a life is exciting, but before you begin, please be sure you haven’t registered before with another donor center. Also, we ask that all registered donors be willing to donate to any patient. Lastly, please scroll down to review the two ways to donate.
Let's get started!SIGN UP
As a registered bone marrow donor, you will be on standby to save a life.
I currently reside in the United States.
I am a member of the military.
Please enter your date of birth.
Please enter your details
You are eligible!
Next step... Complete the registration process.
Thank you for caring.
Members of the military can register with The C.W. Bill Young Department of Defense Marrow Donor Program.
Are you in overall good health?
We want to make sure that helping a patient won’t impact your health. Please review the following list of criteria. If you are not sure about a requirement, feel free to call us at 866.340.3567.
YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO REGISTER IF YOU ARE:
- Between the ages of 18 and 55
- In good general health
- At least 4’10” and weigh more than 105 pounds, but not exceed a maximum BMI of 40.
YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO REGISTER IF YOU HAVE:
- History of heart surgery or heart disease
- Autoimmune disorders such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis or fibromyalgia
- Sleep apnea, breathing problems or severe asthma (daily inhalers are acceptable)
- Diabetes requiring injectable medication
- Hepatitis B or C
- Kidney or liver disease
- History of stroke, including TIA
- Chronic or severe neck, spine or back problems
- Epilepsy or other seizure within one year
- History of blood clotting or bleeding disorders
- History of head injury or multiple concussions
- Personal history of cancer (exceptions: Stage 0 or in situ melanoma, breast, bladder, cervical and cured localized skin cancer such as basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma)
If you have questions about whether your medical history would prevent you from donating, please contact email@example.com or 212.209.6700.