Eight-year-old Heston wakes up every morning with a smile on his face, a song in his heart, and the goal to make today his best day ever. While this may be the wish for every child’s day, Heston’s day also includes fighting to stay alive.
In 2014, Heston became ill with what his parents thought was the mumps. After several more doctor visits and a series of different tests, Heston was diagnosed with Shwachmann-Diamond Syndrome (SDS). Schwachmann-Diamond Syndrome is a rare congenital disorder characterized by exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, bone marrow dysfunction, skeletal abnormalities and short stature.
In order for him to have the best chance at being a normal kid again, Heston needs a bone marrow transplant, and he needs one now.
"His struggle is ours too," said Heston’s parents. "No parent likes to see their child in pain. We have faith that we will get him through this, we just have a long road ahead." Because Heston is of Native American descent, finding his lifesaving match is even harder. Native Americans only make up 1% of the donor pool. They are severely underrepresented making the chances of finding a lifesaving match for patients unlikely.
Heston is now in desperate need and has just one question for you - Will you marrow him?
Lifesaving starts here!
Registering for the chance to save a life is exciting, but before you begin, please be sure you haven’t registered before with another donor center. Also, we ask that all registered donors be willing to donate to any patient. Lastly, please scroll down to review the two ways to donate.
Let's get started!See if you are eligible
As a registered bone marrow donor, you will be on standby to save a life.
I currently reside in the United States.
I am a member of the military.
Please enter your date of birth.
Please enter your details
You are eligible to register!
As a potential stem cell donor you give hope to many patients around the world.
Thank you for caring.
Members of the military can register with The C.W. Bill Young Department of Defense Marrow Donor Program.
Are you in overall good health?
We want to make sure that helping a patient won’t impact your health. Please review the following list of criteria. If you are not sure about a requirement, feel free to call us at 866.340.3567.
YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO REGISTER IF YOU ARE:
- Between the ages of 18 and 55
- In good general health
- At least 4’10” and weigh more than 105 pounds, but not exceed a maximum BMI of 40.
YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO REGISTER IF YOU HAVE:
- History of heart surgery or heart disease
- Autoimmune disorders such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis or fibromyalgia
- Sleep apnea, breathing problems or severe asthma (daily inhalers are acceptable)
- Diabetes requiring insulin or injectable medication
- Hepatitis B or C
- Kidney or liver disease
- History of stroke, including TIA
- Chronic or severe neck, spine or back problems
- Epilepsy or other seizure within one year
- History of blood clotting or bleeding disorders
- History of head injury or multiple concussions
- Personal history of cancer (exceptions: Stage 0 or in situ melanoma, breast, bladder, cervical and cured localized skin cancer such as basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma)
If you have questions about whether your medical history would prevent you from donating, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 212.209.6700.